Taking A Vacation Soon?
So you are going on a trip. Here are some things you need to know if you plan on flying. You know that friends of yours had trouble bringing a water bottle on the plane. How in the heck are you going to bring your e-liquid???
Here are some important steps to making sure your departure to arrival goes smoothly when bringing your personal e-cigarette.
First off, it is important to check the laws that are in place where you plan on visiting. Some countries have banned the use of electronic cigarettes completely, so it’s very important to know before hand to avoid your device and accessories being confiscated.
Here are some questions you will want to ask yourself before packing all your devices, ejuice and other hardware;
- Are the use of e cigarettes prohibited where your end destination is?
- How long is your trip?
- Does your trip include activities that won’t allow you to use your vape?
- If so, do these take up most of your day?
- Will you be staying somewhere that is “smoke friendly” or “smoke free”?
- Are you staying at a family resort?
You could be thinking to yourself, but why do I care if my accommodations are “smoke friendly” or “smoke free”?Vaping isn’t smoking, so how would this apply to me? Good question! Well, if you find yourself in a “smoke free” environment, chances are that people may mistake the vapor for smoke. Yet, a “smoke friendly” environment will (most likely) not have any problem with vaping. Of course that being said you always want to be aware and respectful of you surroundings.
Now, in order to gauge how much e-juice to take with you it is always a good idea to keep a “vape diary” for the weeks leading up to your trip. Yes, I know this sounds silly, but I promise it will help! What this will tell you is how much juice you go through in a week’s time.
So if your trip is a week long make sure you start your “vape diary” a week or two prior to your trip. If you have stumbled on this article and you are less than a week away from your trip then try and remember how much e-juice you have gone through in the last week.
It is also important to consider the fact that you may be consuming alcohol (if that’s your thing) and if that is a craving trigger of yours. Be sure to factor that into the amount you bring with you.
Another key factor to consider is what kind of atomizer you will be bringing. Whether it will be a tank or a rebuildable atomizer, a mouth to lung or a direct to lung these will all affect the amount of e-liquid you should take with you.
This brings us to another important point, luggage. Will you be using carry on only, or will you have checked baggage as well? We will get into vape device packing safety later in the article, but for e-juice packing procedures it is crucial that you place all e-juice in the required liquid bag. You can get these bags at the security line or any resealable plastic bag that does not exceed one liter (1L) in capacity.
Be sure to factor in the other liquids you may be bringing with you such as; mouthwash, shampoo, perfume/cologne, etc.
If finding space in your liquid bag is proving to be a struggle always remember you can (most of the time) purchase toiletries once you have arrived at your destination.
Once you have determined the amount of e-liquid you will be bringing with you, the next step would be deciding how many coils you will be taking with you. This of course is if you are bringing a tank with pre built coils. This is always suggested as it is easier to bring premade coils as rebuildables would require you to bring build supplies. This may pose as an issue if you are only planning on taking carry on luggage as clippers, scissors and any other sharp objects are prohibited.That being said, if you plan on checking your luggage; then you can bring your build kit with you! If you do decide a tank would be less work and easier for your travels then this is where that “vape diary” would come in handy.
In addition to keeping track of your e-juice consumption be sure to take note of your coil replacing habits. This will help you determine the amount of extra coils you bring.
Now that you have your e-juice and coils allocated for your trip it’s time to determine what device to bring! This of course will depend on the atomizer you are bringing and how much power it needs to run. Here are some important points to keep in mind when choosing a device to pack.
Devices with External Batteries and Devices with Internal Batteries: Devices that require external batteries to be inserted are completely acceptable to bring, although airlines require that batteries are removed and placed in a protective battery case.
This should be done before going through security. These cased batteries must be kept in your carry on. Also keep in mind you will have to bring an external battery charger and possibly extra batteries (as we don’t recommend using on board charging for these types of devices unless it is an emergency).
Devices that have an internal battery are slightly easier to travel with as it is only required to have the device powered off before going through security. The device must be kept in your carry on and be sure to not forget the correct power cord and any outlet adapters if necessary!
Just to ensure that we have sure we have covered everything. Here are a few points and checklists to ensure that you have a great time.
- Make sure to check the laws in place at your destination.
- Don’t forget to pack your extra coils or build supplies.
- If they are build supplies be sure to keep them safely stored in your checked luggage.
- If you find you get bored of flavors easily maybe pack a second kind.
- You may want to bring a second tank so you don’t have to worry about mixing flavors.
- Be sure to keep all e-juice bottles in labeled containers that do not exceed 100mL.
- Place all e-juice bottles in the required liquid bags and easily accessed for security.
If your tank has e-juice in it be sure to place it in your liquid bag.
- Note: It is a good practice to empty your tank for the flight or clean it out and disassemble it. The aircraft cabin is pressurized and the change in air pressure will cause your tank to leak.
- Turn off devices with internal batteries.
- Remove batteries from devices that require external batteries and place them in a protective case.
- Do not vape on the aircraft. Even if you think you can get away with it, don’t. Please respect the other passengers and let’s give a good name to the vape community.
- This also goes for anywhere really. If you wouldn’t smoke there, then it’s probably not a good idea to vape there.
- If you find yourself having to explain your vape hardware, be very polite and calmly explain that it is your personal e-cigarette used to ______________ (insert reason for bringing device). They are trained to ask questions about items that raise concern or are out of the ordinary. Being calm and collected will be your best chance at passing through any secondary inspections without issue.
- Be excited for your trip!